Mortal Engines – By Phillip Reeve                                                                                                        

The story is set hundreds of years in the future.

There are towns and cities on wheels that roll around hunting, fighting and devouring smaller cities and towns.

It begins on the  traction city of London where we are told about our first character Tom Natsworthy a young apprentice historian. We learn about his life and what he is doing now.   

Later after being sent into the city’s guts which is where all the towns and cities get dismantled. He then meets his hero Thaddeus Valentine and Katherine Valentine, Thaddeus Valentine’s daughter.

They go to meet the people that were on the small town London was devouring when Thaddeus Valentine is almost killed by the young scarfed assassin Hester Shaw. She is one of the other main characters who along with Tom Natsworthy eventually ends up been shot through a garbage chute into the wasteland that was once the northern sea. They find themselves being chased by a cyborg robot and captured by scavenger pirate people. They stop a powerful device called the Medusa from destroying everything in its path.

We also met the Lord Mayor of London, Magnus Crome who is actually the one coming up with the Medusa plans.  

This book is the first in a series of four. The recommended age for this book is 14 plus years but I would recommend this book for both boys and girls 11 years and older.

I have enjoyed reading this book and the other three books in the series over the Christmas holidays. When I finished them I felt sad and lost because I was so engrossed in the story line.

It is my favourite book series at the moment and likely to be for some time.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           I want to know:Have you read this series of books, or even just one of them? Did you know there is now a Mortal Engines movie? Would you like to live inside the world of this series of books? Why?

It would be great if you made a comment on my blog post, and let me know where I can find your blog.